Though Indian dishes cooked with coconut are usually associated with South Indian cuisine, coconut is a common ingredient used in most of coastal India. We, Bengalis tend to use it a lot, specially for flavoring our lentils and cooking root vegetables like carrots and radishes. I probably had that at the back of my mind, when the other day I tossed in some grated coconut into the pan of grated turnip ... the result was a lovely side dish to go with dhal and roti. Both husband and I liked it and husband instantly recommended it for the blog.
My husband is fond of roasted potatoes and at his suggestion I added some while preparing the dish today. The potatoes do add to the flavor and also help increase the volume of the dish. However roasting the potatoes take time. So if you are in hurry and do not mind the extra oil, pan fry the potatoes or skip them altogether, you'll still have a lovely side for your meal..
Turnip with Coconut
Prep time: 30 minutes Cook time: 10 minutes Total time: 40 minutes
Serves : 2-3
- 2 medium sized potatoes, diced
- 3 medium sized turnip, grated
- 1 ½ tbsp + 2 tsps mustard oil
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- 1 dry red chili
- ¾cup grated coconut(I used frozen)
- 1 dry red chili
- 1/2 tsp dhana-jeera powder
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- salt to taste
- 1 green chili, chopped (optional)
- Center the rack and preheat oven to 450 ° F.
- Meanwhile soak the diced potatoes in water.
- When ready to cook, drain the soaked potatoes, pat them dry and put them in a medium sized oven proof bowl .
- Add 1½ tbsps of oil and salt to the bowl and toss well so that the potatoes are coated with the oil. Bake in the potatoes for 25 minutes, then keep them aside.
- Heat 2 tsps of oil in a medium sized vessel.
- Add the mustard seeds and dry red chili.
- When the mustard seeds splutter, add the grated turnip and grated coconut and mix well.
- Add the dhana jeera powder, salt , sugar and roasted potatoes. Stirring occasionally cook for 6-8 minutes. Do not overcook or else the turnip will become mushy.
- Stir in the chopped green chilli and switch off the heat.
You can serve it hot or cold.
I shall be sharing this at the following food parties.